After completion of this module, learners will be able to perform the following in relation Japanese American elderly:
1. Describe briefly the history of Japanese immigration to the U.S.
2. Describe why an understanding of the degree of acculturation of the Japanese elder and his or her family is important.
3. Identify a cultural belief that may have an impact on long-term care placement decisions in a traditional Japanese American family.
4. Discuss the impact of Buddhism and other religious beliefs on end of life care.
5. Discuss three general communication approaches to consider when working with a Japanese American elder.