Life expectancy in Pakistan is 62.4 yrs for men and 64.44 yrs for women living in Pakistan, In contrast life expectancy is higher for Pakistanis living in United States.
Elderly in Pakistan
According to data from the Pakistan National Statistics Office, the major health problems of Pakistani elders in Pakistan include:
1. Circulatory Disease: hypertension, cerebrovascular accident, coronary heart disease.
2. Cirrhosis: Hepatitis B & C
3. Endocrine Diseases: diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, goiter
4. Depression and dementia
5. Cancer: In men oral cavity cancers (sub mucosal fibrosis) related to the prevalence of paan (betel leaf, areca nut and tobacco) chewing, and lung malignancies due to smoking are common; breast and cervical cancers are the most common malignancies in women.
6. Respiratory; pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
7. Musculoskeletal Disease: osteoporosis, arthritis, fractures