After completion of this module, learners will be able to:
1. Define major systems of culturally based health beliefs, values, attitudes, and behaviors.
2. Recognize indicators of conflicting expectations and responses to conflicting values and beliefs.
3. List health beliefs that might affect adherence to recommended treatment or care plan.
4. Describe the model of cohort analysis as a way to understand the historical experiences of various cohorts of elders from diverse ethnic backgrounds.
5. Use a cohort analysis of a selected ethnic group to discuss possible implications in the clinical setting (e.g. trust of providers, acceptance of treatment, follow-up).
6. Identify resources for information on historical experiences of various ethnic cohorts helpful to clinicians.