After completion of this module, learners will be able to:
1. Conduct culturally appropriate assessments that are respectful of individuals and families.
2. Describe strategies for development of culturally appropriate verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
3. Identify advantages and disadvantages of using different types of interpreters.
4. Describe the process and use of translation/back-translation to achieve better conceptual equivalence of materials and assessment tools.
5. Conduct an ethnogeriatric health assessment including
a. Background/contextual data
b. Clinical geriatric assessment domains,
c. Problem specific information, including explanatory model
d. Intervention specific data
e. Outcomes criteria
6. Identify resources for information on historical experiences of various ethnic cohorts helpful to clinicians.