Upon completion of this module the learner will be able to:
- Explain the major health care beliefs among Alaska Native older adults.
- Develop an awareness of the importance of the historical context in the lives of today’s Alaska Natives.
- Recognize the conflicting values of Alaska Natives vs. Euro-American values of health care.
- Describe the use of an Alaska Native cohort analysis to understand the historical trauma and experiences of Alaska Natives.
- Describe the strategies for the development of culturally appropriate communication.
- Explain how the Alaska Native Elder explanatory model of health/illness contributes to planning a culturally compatible treatment plan.
- Identify key areas for culturally appropriate geriatric assessment and interventions for Alaska Native older adults.