Upon completion of this module the learner will be able to:
1. Explain the major health care beliefs among Alaska Native older adults.
2. Develop an awareness of the importance of the historical context in the lives of today’s Alaska Natives.
3. Recognize the conflicting values of Alaska Natives vs. Euro-American values of health care.
4. Describe the use of an Alaska Native cohort analysis to understand the historical trauma and experiences of Alaska Natives.
5. Describe the strategies for the development of culturally appropriate communication.
6. Explain how the Alaska Native Elder explanatory model of health/illness contributes to planning a culturally compatible treatment plan.
7. Identify key areas for culturally appropriate geriatric assessment and interventions for Alaska Native older adults.